RECIPE: Roasted Tomato and Red Bell Pepper Salsa

/
0 Comments
In preparation for my 15kg weightloss challenge, I made some salsa to eat with my foods as I needed some healthy accompaniments to my meals. I love making this salsa as it is versatile, easy to make and tastes delicious. This particular recipe is similar to a traditional Mexican Salsa Roja and goes so well with enchiladas, tacos, nachos and fajitas. My preferred option being the Nachos as I love to serve it with delicious Cajun spiced Braai Meat. My mouth is watering at the thought of it. Here is the recipe, I encourage you to try it out. You can store it in your fridge for a few weeks but it doesn't last that long!!


Ingredients:

  •  6 large tomatoes, cut into quarters (You can use any kind, I prefer big juicy plum tomatoes.)
  • 2 Large Red Bell Peppers, de-seeded and halved
  • 4 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 3 large green chillies
  • 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
  • Himalayan Salt to taste
  • 1/2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
  • A drizzle of Olive oil, don't be shy but dont be very heavy handed either.
  • 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
  • 1/2 tsp Cumin Powder
Method:

Place tomatoes, peppers, garlic, chilies and cumin seeds on a roasting tray.


Season with salt, pepper and drizzle with oil.

Grill until the tomatoes and peppers start to blister and becomes slightly.


Remove from the oven and transfer everything except the peppers into a liquidiser.

Place peppers into a bowl and cover it until the peppers have cooled.



Peel skin off peppers and transfer to liquidiser.

Liquidise everything together. At this point add the cumin and coriander powder. You can liquidise it to the desired texture. I prefer it to be a bit smooth with some chunks. 

Allow to cool and store using your preferred canning method. Ill have a post about canning soon!!




You may also like

No comments: